Snow Sisters

Snow Sisters

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Fruit of the Vine

While we patiently await the arrival of Caroline, its a good time to take a stroll through the garden. Unfortunately, the Punkin Patch has not fared so well in the current drought. A couple of the acorn squash, butternut squash and pumpkin plants have died. But some are still going so that gives reason to hope that we'll actually have fall squash in the fall.

Because some of the vines have died I went ahead and picked some of the ripe squash from those vines. Pictured below we've got a couple of acorn squash, lots of zucchini, two yellow squash, one enormous (Lily's word) yellow squash that I evidently have not seen for the last few days, and the first pumpkin of the year. If anybody knows what to do with a pumpkin in the middle of July, I'm open to suggestions.



I posted several weeks back of the rabbit that I kept seeing in the Punkin Patch. I haven't seen him for a while, though I believe the reason for this is that he has completely moved in. There are two "burrow-esque" holes around one of the butternut squash mounds, so I believe old Peter Cottontail is now squatting in the squash.

For the first time tonight I did find what may be a relation of Peter. A baby rabbit was hiding in some of the bushes around the front of the house. When he caught sight of me, he got scared and took off around the back of the house. What he didn't know was that Gator was out back.....fortunately for the baby rabbit he figured it out quickly and found a hiding spot between a garden bucket and the house. I was able to snap a couple pictures while he was cornered before he took off under the deck.

I suppose its quite a compliment of our gardens that the locals seem to find them so attractive!!!



No comments: