Snow Sisters

Snow Sisters

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

The English Garden

The concept of an English garden is that you mix some good plants together and just kind of let them grow.  It is not as manicured, and things are not organized neatly, but is does have a lot of beautiful plants in it growing in a wild kind of way.  Though it has been accused of this in prior years, I feel like this is the first year that the concept has really taken hold.  It is bursting with color and vegatables!  I'm doing a pretty good job and pulling the weeds and keeping things generally in their pens, but other than that it is starting to go wild!  Here are some pics of the plush beds and vibrant colors.

This bed has more flowers and herbs than most.  There are a few onions, carrots and peas in there, but it also has hyssop, basil, cilantro, scarlet runner bean, borage, sunflowers and zinnias.
 A zinnia blooming on the back side of that bed.
 Scarlet runner beans.
 Marigold (edible)
 A purple/pinkish borage (usually they are much more blue)
 Nastrutiums

 Calendula
 The cabbage bed growing strong (and feeding lots of bugs)
 Can I have a garden without gourds?  NO!  They are just too much fun in the fall.  I'm growing them up chicken wire on the fence again.  That is a spicy thai basil plant in front of the gourds.
 The sweet potato vines have finally taken off after I fenced them in....I believe a rabbit was biting them off.  Behind them is the big fall squash bed with acorn, butternut and pumpkins going.
 The trellised bed has tomatos, peppers, herbs, nasturtiums, marigolds, and yellow squash.
  I forgot to mention that I threw in a few token sunflowers....you can see them coming up on the end of the bed.
 Lily and CJ were playing a game with animals and pillows tonight....just wanted to add a couple of pics for the grandparents.

 Thatcher is no longer afraid of this camera so I can catch some of his more pensive looks....I hope its not because he's lost his hearing....at least I know for sure that he can still hear "biscuit" without any problem!

No comments: