Snow Sisters

Snow Sisters

Monday, July 4, 2011

A pink and purple house for blue jays

So I mentioned a few posts back that the Ladybugs class had painted a bird-feeder for their playground. Lily was fairly interested in the painting and bird part of the investigation, and of course I'm always looking for a fun wood-working project during the summer, so we set about making a birdhouse for the backyard.

This house is loosely based off some designs I found on the internet. It seemed a little small to me, so I added to the dimensions as I went. In the end, it turned out pretty well for a project whose measurements were only finalized after the cuts were made.

This house is supposed to be for blue jays. In particular, the opening is 1.5" wide which should accommodate them...I'll be interested to see who actually does move in. It was a true team effort, I did the cutting and assembling while Lily did the painting. As you can tell from the pictures, we went with a coat so thick that it might be drying well into next year.




1 comment: