Snow Sisters

Snow Sisters

Friday, August 10, 2012

Jump, Hive and Wail




As I have previously reported here on the blog, there is an abundant population of yellow jackets in Sherwood Forest.  Fortunately, we were able to talk the management company into taking out the first hive I found.  Part of that deal, though, was that we take care of the rest.  Enter the second hive.....and its a real bee-ast.

The little buggers built their nest INSIDE one of the bushes.  Well, technically, it is underneath the bush.  I have been monitoring it for a week or so and had been unable to pinpoint the exact location of the nest.  All you saw was a bunch of yellow jackets going into and out of the bush.

So I came up with a plan.  Go out at night when they are supposed to be in the hive and whack out some of the bush in the general vicinity of the nest.  Then, go out in the morning and have a look.  The idea is that you can safely knock out the branches at night and then wait till morning so you can see them.  This plan was almost executed beautifully...if only I hadn't started poking around with the bush clippers.  Apparently, I poked the nest.  You can imagine what happened....its dark....I see flashes of yellow in the flash light here and there....then YEEEOOOWW.  Stung on the hand.  Fortunately, I had formulated a plan "b" that I executed immediately....I ran like my hair was on fire!  Kept it to only one sting.

I went out this morning to take a look and believe I have found the nest, and the reason I got stung.  It does not appear to be completely buried.  In fact, using my crazy long lens and the zoom function on the computer, you can make out some of the familiar paper structure in the background of these pictures.

The upside is that I have pinpointed the entrance....and will wait again until tonight.  Then, if you were able to hear yellow jackets talk, you'd hear a great screaming and wailing as I unleash a chemical Armageddon on it!  Let this post serve as a monument to the soon-to-be-dead yellow jackets in our bush.

No comments: