Snow Sisters

Snow Sisters

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Poetry from a Former Student

I occasionally teach econ classes for a bible college located in Simferopol, Ukraine. This is a poem written by one of my former students, Violetta Alimova. She is a thoughtful person, I enjoyed her poem so much I am sharing it with you.

Waking up with morning streams of sun
They sluggishly begin another day.
And leaving houses one by one,
All seem to go one and the same way…
…to squeeze in a trolleybus by any means,
Here is where fun begins!
Racing down the bumpy roads,
It is creakily breaking all possible traffic codes.
Meanwhile a woman dressed in a fur coat
is lecturing a girl in mini skirt,
While a man after a good feast
is sleeping peacefully and very pleased.
And look at people walking down the street,
shining, gloomy, slovenly and so neat;
with open arms and with dislike,
they are so different and very much alike.
And it’s just a few minutes of the trip,
Some things are surely better to skip…
But every free minute I have at my disposal
I get to know this different but so lovely Simferopol!

by Violetta Alimova

No comments: